Undergraduate Student Resources

Quarterly Planning:

Your advisors use these tools to evaluate your progress on your degree.  You can use these tools as well.

  • The Timetable will tell you when classes are offered for the entire academic year.
  • ClassFinder will help you find classes by subject area, for general university requirements (GURs) or for major requirements.  You can also build sample schedules by clicking on the course registration number.
  • Registration Schedule gives you a general time for their quarterly registration times.  The best place to look for your registration appointment is under Web4U Registration. 
  • Our Override Request Form is here if you are unable to get into a required course due to an override restriction (e.g. WP sections), an unjustified pre-requisite error, or if you are a non-CE major that needs a specific course to fulfill a degree requirement.   NOTE:   An override request will NOT alter your position on any waiting list for a course.    If you were able to get on the waiting list, you DO NOT need an override.
  • Degree Works is an evaluation tool meant to tell you what you need for your degree or any minor.  You can experiment by adding other study areas or changing your major completely.  Please keep in mind that the best way to know exactly where you stand is by making an appointment with Kathy Patrick (Pre-majors and minors) or Mary Moores (Current Majors).  
  • Calendly scheduling can be accessed with the links below:
  • If you are unable to use Calendly you may call 360.650.3520 to make an appointment.

Degree Requirements:

  • Degree Requirements:  Click on your desired degree.  That will take you to the degree description in the Western Catalog.  Make sure your degree is showing in the correct catalog year by looking at the drop down menu in the upper right corner.  Current students starting just this year are under the 2019.  New students for next year will look at the 2020. 

An experiential component is required of every major.  Your choices are ENVS/ESCI/UEPP 498A Senior Thesis, ENVS/ESCI/UEPP 498B Internship, ENVS/ESCI /UEPP 498C Senior Project or ENVS/ESCI/UEPP498D International Study.  All choices must be approved by your faculty advisor.  If you chose ENVS/ESCI/UEPP 498A, B or C, your requirements will be agreed to with your faculty advisor.  

The difference between ENVS/ESCI/UEPP 498A and 498C is the thesis requires that you have a hypothesis and complete the necessary tests to prove or disprove the theory.  A thesis should be very close to what you might complete in graduate school.  The project is determined by the faculty advisor's interests or research needs.  The faculty advisor works with you to determine the requirements for both the thesis and the project.  

There is one more thing to know about ENVS/ESCI/UEPP 498B:  You MUST be registered for internship credits (ENVS 498B, UEPP 498B, or ESCI 498B) during the quarter in which ANY part of the internship is being performed including summer quarter.  Failure to appropriately register will result in your work-hours not being counted towards your internship credits.

  • Capstone:  The Capstone is another experiential component in your degree.  It's meant to be taken during your second to last or last quarter in the College of the Environment. 

The BEST Way

The best way to be sure about your degree requirements and completion is to make an appointment with Kathy Patrick (Pre-majors and minors), Mary Moores (Current College of the Environment Majors) or Ed Weber (Graduate Students).