The Department of Environmental Sciences
At the Department of Environmental Sciences, our mission is to be a regional partner and national leader in environmental science through education and research related to environmental evaluation, management, remediation and restoration.
- To train students through academic and practical experiences to address environmental challenges.
- To advance the state of knowledge in the environmental sciences.
- To engage locally, regionally and globally to enhance scientific awareness and support for science-based policy
We address these Program Goals with scholarship that can:
- Assess impacts of natural and anthropogenic events, including fire, chemical production and use, and industrial activities.
- Assess the causes and impacts of global change, including climate change.
- Improve environmental conditions through remediation and restoration.
- Inform managers, policy makers and other stakeholders with work in risk assessment, sustainable energy, environmental monitoring, and global change mitigation or adaptation.
- Investigate and describe physical and ecological processes in freshwater, marine, and terrestrial ecosystems.
- Provide knowledge and services to underserved communities.
We prepare undergraduate students to:
- Apply quantitative skills to environmental issues;
- Apply critical thinking (analytical) skills to environmental issues;
- Write and speak effectively to professional and lay audiences about issues in the field;
- Use theoretical knowledge of environmental sciences in real world applications;
- Incorporate multiple disciplines into environmental sciences.
We prepare graduate students to:
- Explain and evaluate the theories and concepts of environmental science.
- Design and conduct scientifically rigorous and relevant research.
- Analyze and interpret scientific data
- Communicate scientific concepts and results effectively to a range of audiences.
For more information on our bachelor and graduate degree options, please see ESCI Majors, Minors & Degrees.
See ESCI Faculty & Staff.
General Contact Information
Department of Environmental Sciences
Main Office - ES 522
College of the Environment
Western Washington University
516 High Street - MS 9181 | Bellingham, WA 98225